On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Mark Weaver wrote:

Hello all,

I've been googling my brains out since yesterday looking for up-to-date information on this matter, and have found information that is anywhere from 15 to 5 years old. I'd really like some information that much more up to date on the subject. Specifically configuring Sendmail SMTP authentication (_no smart host stuff_).

I wrote this article years ago:

  https://www.madboa.com/geek/sendmail-auth/

The configuration outlined there is essentially unchanged today. I have it running on a CentOS 7 machine with sendmail 8.14.

The only real change is the SOCKETDIR setting in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd, which is now /run/saslauthd (rather than /var/run/saslauthd). And, of course, I use systemctl rather than chkconfig to control boot-time behavior.

The trickier bit for me was stopping and restarting the whole SMTP toolchain, which includes spamassassin, clavav, and opendmarc. Below my .sig, I've included the shell script I use for that.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinl...@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/

#!/bin/sh
#
# start/stop SMTP tool chain on mail.madboa.com
#

LANG=C
PATH="/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"

function mail_start {
  sync && sync
  for S in \
    "clamd@clayton" "clamav-milter" \
    "opendmarc" \
    "spamassassin" "spamass-milter" \
    "sendmail"
  do
    echo -n "Starting $S :: "
    systemctl start ${S}.service
    if test $? -eq 0; then echo "ok"; else echo "failed"; fi
  done
}

function mail_status {
  for S in \
    "clamd@clayton" "clamav-milter" \
    "opendmarc" \
    "spamassassin" "spamass-milter" \
    "sendmail"
  do
    echo -n "$S :: "
    systemctl is-active ${S}.service
  done
}

function mail_stop {
  for S in \
    "sendmail" \
    "clamav-milter" "clamd@clayton" \
    "opendmarc" \
    "spamass-milter" "spamassassin"
  do
    echo -n "Stopping $S :: "
    systemctl stop ${S}.service
    if test $? -eq 0; then echo "ok"; else echo "failed"; fi
  done
}

case "$1" in
  start)
    mail_start
    ;;
  stop)
    mail_stop
    ;;
  restart)
    mail_stop
    mail_start
    ;;
  status)
    mail_status
    ;;
  *)
    echo "usage: $(basename $0) {start|stop|restart|status}"
    ;;
esac

# vim: set filetype=sh: