> Am 22.01.2018 um 21:50 schrieb Valeri Galtsev <galt...@kicp.uchicago.edu>:
>
> Dear All,
>
> Three groups of scientists need to write documents collaboratively. They are
> going to use MS PowerPoint, Word, also store PDF files. They want to be able
> to add external people from other groups they collaborate with and give them
> access to some areas or "projects". In other words, they want some
> collaborative work environment, mostly to work on documents.
>
> In the past scientists were using TeX, and one of version control systems
> (CVS, subversion,...). And all was great, as TeX files (pretty much like
> programs software developers write) are ASCII text files, and diff of two
> version is rather small...
>
> Unlike the past scientists I work for plan to use MS PowerPoint, Word, also
> store PDF files. All these are effectively binary files for version control
> systems, then versions will not be stored as a small diff, but each version
> ends up being the whole document.
>
> One obvious solution may be: just buy office365.com <http://office365.com/>
> service, or set up MS server on our own machine. And these are the two things
> I am trying to avoid.
>
> Could someone recommend open source software? Some collaborative suite
> focused mostly on working on documents, with web based interface.
>
> I run owncloud server for my Department, and one in general can use that, but
> I hope to find something more focused towards collaborative work.
>
> Thanks a lot for your advises and pointers.

Well, there’s Collabra Online -
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/collabora-online/
<https://www.collaboraoffice.com/collabora-online/> - but I think it just
allows you to edit documents on the browser.
It can’t really allow two people editing the same document at the same time and
then merge it - something that AFAIK Sharepoint can do. At least, I was under
the impression that it can do that.

You can download their CODE VM and check it out.

For just file-sharing, there’s also SeaFile.

But I see they also integrate with Collabra these days….
https://www.seafile.com/en/features/

For project management, there’s stuff like Project Open
(http://www.project-open.com <http://www.project-open.com/> ) - but you have to
see for yourself if it fits your use-case.

Good luck and keep us updated about what you ended up doing.