Recently we encountered an instance of bucket corruption of two varieties.
One in which the bucket metadata was missing and another in which the
bucket.instance metadata was missing for various buckets.

We have seemingly been successful in restoring the metadata by
reconstructing it from the remaining pieces of metadata and injecting it
using "radosgw-admin metadata put" for both bucket and bucket.instance
metadata

One piece of information that we could not determine was "tag"

    "ver": {
        "tag": "_iIMyX8XLf0HSTciEsrgLA7j",
        "ver": 1
    },

and so we tried reusing the tag in bucket.instance for the bucket metadata
and also spoofed the tag value to something random. It appears in both
situations the bucket's functionality was restored. I am however uncertain
of the function of this "tag" key and what situation I may be exposing
myself to by reusing or spoofing its value.

Respectfully,

*Wes Dillingham*
w...@wesdillingham.com
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/wesleydillingham>