I apologize, I somehow missed you cannot do BGP. I don't know of a better
solution for you if this is the case. You'll just want to make sure to do
graceful shutdowns of haproxy when necessary to do maintenance work to avoid
severing active connections. At some point, though, timeouts will likely
happens, so the impact won't be non-zero, but it also won't be catastrophic.

David