If Eich said that his views have evolved and that he believes differently
now than he did then, I would absolutely support him. If he said, "You
know, I used to have a very traditional view of marriage and that led me to
support Prop 8. However, over my years at Mozilla, I've seen many committed
same-sex relationships and realized that they are as deserving of the word
'married' as any other", if he used this opportunity to embrace his critics
and explain where he is at and why he is a good choice to lead, this could
have worked out very differently. None of that happened, however.

The Mozilla foundation is ideal-driven, committed to openness,
egalitarianism, diversity, inclusion. Whoever leads the foundation needs to
personify those ideals if they want to continue to push them forward and
retain and expand the support base it has gained. A large number of
prominent companies, particularly tech companies, have become public
supporters of marriage equality, even outside the open source sector.

Eich stepped down because he was out of step with the people he was
supposed to be leading. He's a strong technical lead and deeply committed
to open source software. But when it came down to people questioning his
ability to embrace the ideals of equality, inclusion, egalitarianism and
extend them to all people at a broader social level, he was unable to
usefully navigate the discussion. He stumbled, stalled, deferred, tried
changing the topic...he just did a bad job of leading. And that's why he
wasn't a good choice to be CEO of that organization.

Cheers,
Judah