As someone with a college math degree, I can say that that is, in fact, how
math is really done. You can take short cuts on arithmetic by memorizing
tables, sure. Fundamentally, however, it is more about how you approach a
problem and the techniques that go into solving it. If you learn the
approaches and show mastery of when/how to apply them, you are solving
problems. If you memorize tables of arithmetic, then you are relying solely
on your ability to memorize data, which is not doing math.

This becomes particularly important when you hit integral calculus and
beyond. There is no general way to do integrals. There are categories of
problems that share characteristics and that people have figured out are
best able to be tackled with certain techniques. But there is no "answer"
or even "the way to do it". It just doesn't exist. Instead, you have to
learn to find patterns, try approaches and recognize whether or not the
approach is taking you in the direction you want.

Cheers,
Judah