I've been suspecting that the glare of social media is also fueling more
brazen behavior on the part of police forces because of the way it
reinforces an "us vs them" mindset. There has always been a tendency to
bunker in and support your fellow law enforcement folks because it is a job
where you are often trusting your life to those coworkers and it is a job
that is often misunderstood.

With more eyes on social media, more phones recording their moves, I wonder
whether it reinforces that bunker mentality by making it seem like more of
an "us vs them" situation. That would then provide more support for the
worst elements (the 10% of people who are total jerks) and embolden them.

A case I'm thinking of in Portland is an officer named Mark Kruger. He is a
Nazi sympathizer. And by Nazi sympathizer, I'm not doing a Godwin-like
embellishment. I mean that he was erecting memorial monuments to famous
Nazi officers in public parks, he has a history of role playing Nazis, and
he was married near Hitler's home.  And, in spite of the fact that he is
not only a Nazi-sympathizer, but he also has cost the city millions in
settlements for violent and abusive behavior toward citizens, he's still
been repeatedly promoted within the police department.

There have been additional incidents that have embroiled the department
from bottom to top and the department is now part of a DOJ consent decree
because of it's ongoing historical violence toward the mentally ill. And
the same people in the department keep getting caught up in these
controversies and the same people keep getting employed and promoted.

It's weird to me.

Judah