On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Russ Michaels <r...@michaels.me.uk> wrote:

> Sadly I don;t think soundex is going to help you as this finds words that
> sound like other words (there, their, they're), which isn't going to pickup
> typos.

In my testing soundex works reasonable well if I allow the 2 values to
be within a distance of each other (I'm not searching for exact
soundex matching but for the 2 numbers to be close to each other).

For example "select soundex('Morris'), soundex('Moris');" returns the
same value M620 and that is ok for me.

> I think comparing each contact field on an OR basis is a sufficient way to
> find dupes, if none of those fields are the same then it is not really a
> duplicate. Even if you have a typo in the same, the other fields are going
> to have a match surely.

Unfortunately I get very little duplicates that way because of small
differences, especially in the address ("East Drive" vs "East Dr.").

--
Mack