Hello Matt,

it may be a bit of an oversight that no such procedure exists in the
SQLite3 egg, but you could define something like this:

(define (one-result/default default db sql . parameters)
  (call-with-temporary-statements
    (lambda (stmt)
      (apply bind-parameters! stmt parameters)
      (if (step! stmt)
        (column-data stmt 0)
        default))
    db sql))

[untested, and leaving the usual "overloads" for statement objects vs. SQL
source as an exercise to the reader 😉]

Ciao,
Thomas