On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 5:39 PM Jeremy Steward <jer...@thatgeoguy.ca> wrote:

 Likewise, I opt to use (chicken fixnum) but this is
> because I discovered that SRFI-143 is so egregiously slower than
> (chicken fixnum) that it was causing serious performance regressions in
> many of the array APIs.

That's very odd. The Chicken-specific library wrapper for SRFI 143 at
GitHub (srfi-143.scm, which needs to be updated to Chicken 5) makes use of
Chicken's native fx* procedures.  I don't know how the Chicken (srfi 143)
egg was built, though; it may be using rubber-chicken.scm and fxcore.scm,
which are slow emulations meant for complete portability.

If you have time/energy, it would be useful to make Chicken's
implementation do what it was originally intended.  See the
"Implementation" section in the SRFI, or feel free to ask me for
explanations of details.