 To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
From: wildbariwithspi...@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:40:59 +0000
Subject: [Chihuahuas] Re: Pet Insurance ?

this is good timing for me to talk about pet insurance.

Since Rylie was my first dog ever, I signed up for pet insurance as soon as I
adopted her.  When we brought George home, I immediately added him.

George has been part of our family for a little over 6 months, and a few weeks
ago he started limping and picking up his back legs, his lameness was getting
progressively worse by the day :( He is at the hospital this very moment
getting ready for bilateral patellar luxation surgery.

For me, in this instance, my pet insurance is going to be a lifesaver.

I have trupanion. It does not cover shots or preventative/initial vet visits.
After the initial visit, they cover 90% of costs including meds, labs, xrays,
surgery, follow-up, hospital charges.  Until now, I think I have probably broke
even, only needing it for blood tests and treatment for Rylie for an eye
infection and a UTI.  You can chose any vet, and they have just added an
alternative medicine rider, which covers chiropractic, acupuncture, massage,
physical therapy and hydrotherapy.

The 90% is after the deductible, which you choose and which your monthly
payment is based on (along with age/breed at time of sign up). My deductible is
$100 and my monthly payment is $37 for George, $44 for Rylie (she was older
when I brought her home).

So, for this particular surgery, the cost is approx $4600, so my part will only
be around $200 ($100 deductible, $65 initial visit, $25 soft cone)

whew.