On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Bradley Nelson <bradnel...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Last week I re-landed a change to split off parts of chrome.gyp into .gypi's
> in the same directory.
> I had done something similar a couple weeks back, but took it out because
> concern was raised about merge conflicts in m4.
> I put it back in because I got the all clear on m4.
> The goal is to reduce contention on chrome.gyp which has gotten quite large
> - 7000+ lines.

I just tried to add a file to chrome.gyp and I couldn't find where it
should go. It took me a minute to remember this thread.

I'm concerned our build system is getting out of control. I can not
explain in simple sentences where anything should go. Even if I'm
using my visual tool and find the right project, the only real way to
find where a file should go is to grep for files nearby. .gyp files
already had this property where you can't find where things should go
in them and you needed to search. Now it seems like we've added an
additional layer of "you don't know which file its in, either."

How much does this solve contention? It seems like actual conflicts
for changes will be the same as before. What contention cases are
there that splitting everything out helps a lot?

Thanks
Brett

PS Thanks for working on the build system, I don't mean to be non-appreciative.