On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Brett Wilson <bre...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> I imagine the problems on Linux are the same as they were on Windows,
>> where the underlying graphics layer wants to place glyphs aligned on
>> pixel boundaries. This gives rounding problems and the letters jump
>> around. I spent several weeks making the rotations and transparency on
>> Windows text and form controls look good.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on what you did?  (I write this as maybe the
> person who will need to fight with this at some point, but practically
> I wonder if it'll eventually fall on you.  :P)

This is the code in SkiaFontWin.cpp. That's non-ideal, and it would be
better to have Skia get the outlines itself and use the Skia path. I
don't actually know where the rounding problems occur on Linux. Skia
should be fine with it, but its probably in the way it interacts with
FreeType (maybe a glyph cache that requires being pixel-aligned?)

Brett