On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:22:01 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <s...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Why initial patch was reverter using this comment: "unfortunately, did not
> prove to be as useful as expected"? What was the problem? What about the
> "pedantic" option which was added last time?

Hi, the problem was that gcc and clang are by default extremely strict with
regards to conforming to C++, and the -pedantic flag simply made them so strict
that it was impossible to compile the JDK with them. In an ideal world we'd be
able to compile with -pedantic enabled, but that seems to be a lot of work
required before that can be achieved, so it was reverted. In contrast, Visual C
compiler is much too lax with what it allows you to get away with by default,
so the permissive- flag is needed to make it match clang and gcc's default
strictness. Additionally, permissive- is going to become the default on Visual
C in the future, so we should add this as a flag to allow the JDK to be
prepared when that time arrives

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15096#issuecomment-1681596804