Yes, you drill the hole bigger and tap for the threads on the outside of
the helicoil or thread insert.  The other main advantage of using one of
these over just tapping for a larger bolt is in softer base materials
(aluminum, plastic) it will distribute the screw load and prevent it from
stripping in the first place, at least to a point or damaging the threads
when the screw is removed and reinserted.  This is especially important if
the screw is one that will be installed and removed every year.  I think
that there might also be an advantage in preventing a stainless steel screw
from seizing/corroding as it will tend to do over time in tapped aluminum,
at least in a salt water environment.  For that reason, I would tend toward
using a solid insert such as https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3505
rather than a helicoil if putting a stainless steel screw into threaded
aluminum where I want to be sure I can get them apart again.  We had bolt
together reusable aluminum frames at my last job with M16 and M24 bolts and
used inserts for threaded holes in the aluminum - worked great and we never
had issues with stripping or galling of the threads.

~~~
Nathan Post
S/V Wisper