Agree with the 2 pump philosophy with only one caveat from my almost disastrous
experience many years ago which only involved 1 pump.
I made the mistake of having shore power hooked up and bilge pump powered on
when my float switch failed while at my dock. The bilge pump dutifully ran in
response to the failed switch (it failed in the ‘run pump’ position), the
battery sagged, the charger kicked on and ultimately stayed on at its maximum
current.
This evidently happened over a week or more while the boat was unattended.
When I discovered the problem, of course the batteries were dead. As I traced
it, I couldn’t understand why the charger was not on and charging. Closer
inspection found a blown resistor inside the Xantex charger.
Whether by charger design or accident, this blown resistor likely saved my boat
from a fire as the charger overheated trying to keep the batteries charged.
While probably preventable by a more robust on board circuit design, my
takeaway from this event was to NEVER leave shore power/battery charger on
unless I am on board.
As Bill mentioned, better to have a dead battery than the boat at the bottom—or
in my case burned to the water line!
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 5:01 PM, Bill Coleman via CnC-List