I'm not overly surprised at this.  In some ways I support it.  I've seen
some obnoxious, if not outright dangerous, situations caused by operators
of larger powerboats.  Perhaps handing the keys to a 40+ foot express
cruiser to a newbie isn't exactly a bright idea.

Although I don't hold a master's license, my insurance company liked the
fact that I was a certified Officer of the Deck Underway Fleet Steaming on
a 384 foot, 2800 ton US Navy ship.  They give me a discount for that.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 9:06 PM Martin DeYoung <martin.deyo...@outlook.com>
wrote:

> When we purchased our 1956 Matthews 42 with twin 454 gas V8 engines we had
> difficulty obtaining insurance at any cost. After a haul-out survey, drawn
> fasteners, and certifying the survey findings we got to my qualifications
> to own and operate the vessel.
>
> The insurance company that was most promising asked about my ownership and
> experience operating/navigating similar size vessels. They also asked about
> what training/education related to boat operation I had competed.
>
> Fortunately, I had all those bases covered and we were able to bind
> coverage.  The cost is 4X what we pay for Calypso.  We were expecting 3X,
> hoping for 2X.
>
> I expect newbies, possibly during COVID buying more boat than they could
> handle along with high payouts from storm damage is driving insurance
> companies out of the market.

Thanks for your help.
Stu