Actually, 3 miles might be a bit short.  Excuse the tech analysis but if
one assumes you sail 0.5 miles from the rhumb line between the upwind and
downwind marks and the arbitrary waypoint is only 3 miles away, then 0.5/3
is 0.1667 the sine of which equates to an angle of about 9.5 degrees.  That
would mean about a 10 degree error in your course.

Conversely, 10 miles would be 0.5/10 or .05.  That equates to about 3
degrees error.

Dang, my brain hurts.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 5:11 PM Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Purely arbitrary.  3-5 miles would probably work.
>
> --
> Dennis C.
> Touche' 35-1 #83
> Mandeville, LA
>
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 4:33 PM Matthew Wolford via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Dennis.  How did you arrive at 10 miles.

Thanks for your help.
Stu