>From a sailor in my area that had same rudder
On his Viking 34 always had a weather helm
And drag
I have the same problem with my 30
He fixed the problem by changing the shape of the rudder and rebuild a new
one from one he found in the scrap pile
Now it a sailing machine I can send you pictures in your personal email
For electric
Check with the your insurance what they say
And maybe where you are
Long range may not be economically
Depends how long you’re keeping the boat
My guess would be around 20 k for the change
Look up electric yacht they have plug n play
Kits
Joel Delamirande
*www.jdroofing.ca <http://www.jdroofing.ca>*

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 7:41 PM Daniel via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
> He who shall remain nameless managed to back down onto….  Anyway, the
> subject doesn’t bury the lead.
> She’s a 30’ mk1. I believe 1972, maybe 73.  Hull number plate is missing
> and she’s pre cast-in-the-transom days.
> The rudder is a piece of plate with reinforcing “longitudinal” pieces
> welded on running at right angles to the rudder post and not even close to
> horizontally as one would expect.  I shudder to think of the
> hydrodynamics……  Anyway, there’s a bend of about 35 degrees to stbd just
> parallel with a longitudinal.  I have bolted together a structure made of
> 4x4s and threaded rod/washers/nuts that has pulled it just about straight.
> But how do I know if I have pulled it enough.  I expect it will spring back
> but I have no idea how much overbend I need to put in so as to end up with
> an( even close to) straight rudder.
>
> That’s the major problem.  The other is those reinforcing pieces and the
> complete lack of any foil esque) shape to to it. I have access to some
> black locust I could bolt on in vertical “planks” for lack of a better
> term, which would reinforce that straightening work I hopefully have close
> enough, and then I can fair them a little to give some shape.  It would
> require cutting short those longitudinals and grooving the backs of the
> planks a bit but that’s doeable. I could through bolt them side to side as
> needed and voila, rudder fixed and faired.  Coat planks in some sort of
> goop of course (open to suggestions).
>
> I’m trying to find pics on my phone but it doesn’t seem to be showing all
> my pics…. I’ll investigate.
>

> So, is there anything glaringly wrong with my plan? Intention would be to
> coat the planks in epoxy then bottom paint and bolt on new ones if (when)
> they need replacing.
>
> Also contemplating pulling her diesel and installing an electric motor.
> Anyone have experience there?
>
> Thanks for your ideas hivemind.
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel
> CnC30 Santiago
>

> Sent from my iPhone
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.