Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
i can say now - 320x240 mpeg4 video with mplayer using xvideo on the gta02 even
can't play at 30fps. i was wrong with my guess. it is dropping 25% of the
frames. so as such actually i correct this. i was too optimistic. you can more
likely manage 20fps @ 320x240. this is mpeg4 - so mpeg1 and 2 may be better as
they are simpler codecs. do remember when i say resolution - i mean the video
itself. the hardware can SCALE it to fill the screen, but this is taking
320x240 video and scaling it up (adding blur) so of course the quality isn't
that good. remember too that color information is half that resolution in each
dimension again (160x120 - though depends on codec).

Well, I was thinking to youtube videos streaming... Since it will be impossible to see them in embedded browser (without local javascript hacks), I guess that we could use an application (if I'm not wrong someone is developing it on projects.openmoko.org) that fetches and plays (on streaming too) the videos in other formats supported by youtube (you can test them using youtube-dl -f <value> <url> [1])

The formats (fmt) that should work with no problems are:
 * 13: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3gpp file so H.263 video and AMR Narrowband audio
 * 15: [EMAIL PROTECTED] mp4 file with MPEG4 video and AAC audio

Another format that maybe works on streaming (if I've not misunderstood what has been stated) is
 * 5: [EMAIL PROTECTED] flv file

Maybe too low, but... I think that actually it's the best way quality we can get without rencoding it locally or simply without using a 3rd party server doing this work for us "on the fly".

[1] http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/