Em 06-04-2010 07:02, Werner Almesberger escreveu:
> undrwater wrote:
>> I'm wondering if this is a re-badged product discussed here previously, or
>> something relatively new?
>
> Looks like something new. It isn't quite clear to me what semantics
> they attach to "Open", in particular whether the openness is supposed
> to come from the mere fact of being an x86 platform and inherently
> PC-ish, or whether it also means an absence of binary kernel modules
> and similar kinds of joy. Or it could just mean that they'll license
> the design to anyone, which would indeed be more "open" than anything
> else on the market, even though at a different level.
>
> I'd also be curious about battery life. If they've indeed managed to
> make an x86-based phone with a battery life that compares to a good
> ARM-based one, that would be very impressive.
>
> There's of course also the question to what extent x86 matters for
> mobile phones today. In terms of processing power, already ARM seems
> to offer more than enough for most purposes. In terms of
> compatibility, they don't seem to aim for straight PC-compatibility
> anyway, and the concept of an "app store", having been given a very
> pronounced shape by Apple, has changed the landscape.

It's supposed to be Intel's Moorestown, which is aimed, I guess, at
ARMs, so it should be comparable, at least.

The issue is really what they mean by "open". Nokia N900 is *not* open
even if you can install another OS not blessed by Nokia, as important
functionality is clearly missing.

Same goes for many other "open" phones around the spot.

Rui