I have an update. I picked up yesterday a pre-paid FIDO SIM Card (Microcell/FIDO was the first GSM provider in Canada and was subsequently acquired by Rogers Wireless). The FIDO SIM card was able to see FIDO was a carrier under Android 2.2 and do Voice + SMS, but getting GPRS working turned out to be elusive (i.e. many wasted hours).

We installed SHR instead and... presto the GPRS worked effortlessly with GPRS settings: server: internet.fido.ca username: fido password: fido . Android was apparently too dumb to deal with this this simple setting.

It remains quite a mystery as to why Roger's current "3G" SIM isn't working in the GTA02. We're going to stockpile some current FIDO 3G/4G SIMs at $10 each, cheap insurance versus being stuck in the future with devices that can't do GPRS. We have *not* tested any FIDO LTE SIMs yet for compatibility.

-Pascal
www.wi-flight.net