Duncan ha scritto:

On Sun 25 May 2003 09:38, Bruno Thomsen posted as excerpted below:

I have a problem with Mozilla/Galeon acroread plugin taking 100% cpu
power when viewing a pdf document inside a browser.

The acroread outside the browser works perfect.

It has been broke for some time now more then 6 mounths, but the plugin
worked back in MDK8.2.

This may be the gcc 2.9x vs. gcc 3.x version issues. Mozilla plugins are shared objects, so need to be compiled with the same compiler version as the calling app. If you get a cross-version call, the binary interfaces don't match up, and there are problems.

AFAIK that problem is only if c++ is used (but Gwenole can confirm).

I know that unless it recently changed, mozilla was still being compiled with the old gcc 2.9x version to maintain compatibility with old plugins. I suspect either they updated and that remains as an old plugin, or the reverse, mozilla remains old, but the plugin has been updated.

updated mozilla 1.3.1 for 9.1 still is compiled with 2.9x for libs to allow using of java 1.4.1 compiled with egcs, so it's exactly in the same condition as under 9.0/8.2, so probably the acroread problems are due to some other change (e.g. glibc 2.3.X agains 2.2.X). It could be interesting to try whether preloading glibc 2.2 for acroread will get it working without 100% CPU usage.

As AcroRead isn't open source AFAIK, you can't recompile it, but you may be able to get a new version off their site or whatever. However, if you know

AFAIK there isn't any newer version than 5.06 right now. Maybe the 6.0 is upcoming (hoping they also will supports locales and compile on a newer distrib and with a compiler newer than egcs...).

what gcc version was used to compile it, you can recompile mozilla from source as necessary (assuming you can still find that version), but remember, you'll need to recompile any other plugins that now work, as well, if you change the mozilla compiler version and wish to keep those plugins working.

Bye. Giuseppe.