Buchan Milne ha scritto:

Stew Benedict wrote:

--=-=-=
Name        : imap                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2002d                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 3mdk                          Build Date: Fri Jul 25

01:02:31 2003

Install date: (not installed) Build Host:

bi.mandrakesoft.com

Group       : System/Servers                Source RPM: (none)
Size        : 1093945                          License: BSD
Packager    : Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://www.washington.edu/imap/
* Thu Jul 24 2003 Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2002d-3mdk

- add patch17, mailsubdir in $HOME/Mail (Giuseppe Ghibò)

Is this wise? I have patched our own imap package that we run on our
mail server to put mail in $HOME/mail, but I wasn't about to propose it
(even though without it Outlook Express tries every subfolder of $HOME
for mail folders), since surely this will disrupt existing servers which
already have mail in $HOME ? Or at least, the release notes should warn
about this, and tell you how to migrate (unless it has been tested and
clients can still find the folders after the upgrade, which from what I
remember is not the case).

IMHO is wise, as at a certain point the change should be made. With this patch IMAP put mails into $HOME/Mail even if IMAP directory is by default "null", as happens on 99.9% of browsers. This would also allow to avoid that mail clients accesses to $HOME system files, like $HOME/.kde, $HOME/.bashrc, $HOME/.ssh, which is insecure and also looks very unprofessional (and that happens for 99.99% of users who forgot to set a imap maildir name at first access); the migration from previous imapd version of course requires that:

a) mail clients (and RPM) that have a preconfigured subdir (or imap dir) set
to something, e.g. "mail", "Mail", or "Mailbox", etc., will have such
dir changed to "" (NULL), because that's already set into IMAP server. I've
already fixed default mailsubdir in squirrel for this.

b) on the servers, the $HOME/.mailboxlist files containing:

mail/Trash
mail/Drafts
mail/MyBox

should be modified to look as

Trash
Drafts
MyBox

and files $HOME/mail/Trash, $HOME/mail/Drafts, etc. moved to
$HOME/Mail/Trash, etc.; if the $HOME/.mailboxlist files contains
entries like:

Mail/Drafts
Mail/Trash
Mail/MyBox

then only the .mailboxlist file should be modified, but the
mailbox folders remains where they are. Maybe a simple perl script for
automatically doing that could be provided.

Regards, Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.

Bye. Giuseppe.