Luca Berra ha scritto:

As I said for imap using mbox:%h/ as default is a bad, as it would have

Yes, the problem is that at the moment it is set-up this way, so changing it will break something.

Current RPM is set to use mbox:%h/Mail/, and I wish to continue to see that setting.

The migration tools should be done using some simple script

IMHO they are quite easy/trivial to write.

this is also something that can easily screw user setup, so it should be done very carefully.
It also should deal with squirrel or similar and it is possible that someone changed the path on the client, so it may break things.

Squirrel now uses "" as default, so it can't break anything. If users provided a mailpath, such as 'mymail' into their mail client (different than 'mail' or 'Mail'), then such path will be moved into $HOME/Mail to result $HOME/Mail/mymail: as $HOME/Mail will be invisible to mail clients.

An alternative would be to not caring about "cleaning" the existing
per-user .mailboxlist installation, and just only taking care about
"backward" compatibility, i.e. if a /home/<user>/.mailboxlist would contain

mail/myfolder1
mail/myfolder2

and the files are

$HOME/mail/myfolder1
$HOME/mail/myfolder2

The migration script would have just to move $HOME/mail/myfolder1 and
$HOME/mail/myfolder2 to:

$HOME/Mail/mail/myfolder1
$HOME/Mail/mail/myfolder2

Existing users will still see their mails into "mail/" folders, without
changing anything in their configuration, but system files of $HOME no longer will be
visible/accessible.

as I said if we would use the rule of using the same
Mailsubdir name either in dovecot and in imapd, we wouldn't even
need to move mailboxes, and also all the mail clients we have would
be happy in using an empty mailsubdir path.

this is the best option, i am uncertain as how it should be done.
this is why i proposed to keep things as they are and start bitching users to fix them manually.

The fix was made to imapd in 3mdk, but then Stew after Buchan warning about backward compatibility issues preferred to revert back with old scheme with mailbox folders in $HOME instead of $HOME/Mail.

IMHO, this "compatibity" to subscribed folders should be added by the dovecot author, using some switch in conf file (someone suggests him then), as it claim to be "fully compatible" with

i think it was discussed on the dovecot list, i'll check the archives

If the dovecot author doesn't plan to add 5 lines of code for
supporting $HOME/.mailboxlist file for some reason, then I think
it's not worthwhile to waste time in trying to add such support ourself (users would have just resubscribe to their Folders).

INBOX mailbox(es) could also be accessed at the same time in POP3/POP3s mode...

I thought that the dovecot pop server would deal with indexes

Another alternative would be also to include the "maildir" patch
for uw-imapd.

a patch that mark crispin does not want to accept in uw.

Well, I read he said because he couldn't do better job on that task. Of course the patched version would have to be into a standalone RPM (e.g. uw-imapd-maildir).

Bye.
Giuseppe.