Buchan Milne wrote:

Stew Benedict wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, David Walser wrote:

Guiseppe and I discussed this on IRC.  I'm thinking it's probably safest
for imapd to use it's own namespace, .uwmail or Mailuw or something,
rather than try to use mail, Mail etc. which have been historically used
by a number of local mail clients. It would be handy to be able to share
the folders, but given that there's no guarantee what might be found
there, probably safest not to use them.

To deal with the migration issue, existing installations won't change,
only fresh installs.  We'll leave it to the system admin to make the
change, if they wish to.

Sounds cool, as long as the documentation (ie package description on old
package) indicates this, and a script is provided that should be able to
do it without much effort from the admin.

I don't have a time machine for changing the %description of old package. What at least could be provided is just a few note on the %description of the new package saying that mailsubdir has changed.

Also, since the approach is different, i.e. to preserve
old behaviour for server (existing) "upgraded", there won't be any script for migration, but at least note for:

a) how to revert to old behavior also for newer servers
b) how to manually move mailbox folders of existing servers
for using the new mailsubdir path.

Unless someone is willing to translate that in perl or bash script.

Bye.
Giuseppe.