Frank Griffin wrote:

I'm looking for some guidance on trying to find the package which owns a file.

Several times now when I've had a problem with a particular executable or one of the initialization script files, I've tried to find the owning package for purposes of filing a bug report by using rpmdrake's seach on filename feature, only to get no hits from the search.

The latest example is /usr/bin/update-menus.

Should this technique work, or should I be doing something else ?

It seems as though this should work. Using urpmf --files update-menus returns the following results:
menu:/usr/bin/update-menus
menu:/usr/share/man/man1/update-menus.1.bz2
So, /usr/bin/update-menus belongs to the menu package. (menu-2.1.5-124mdk)
Note: Obviously, this is only going to work 100% if your urpmi database matches your currently installed packages since packages are often removed and, though less frequent an occurance, files may switch between packages (eg. all the recent KDE changes).
-Michael