I upgraded a 9.1 system (which had been powered off while running, so
had partitions marked as unclean) to 9.2 but the installer did not see
the 9.1 system at all until I created the device nodes by hand and
e2fsck'ed the / partition.

The installer *should* (IMESHO) offer to check existing partitions
before deciding about upgrades if it finds any partitions flagged as
having errors, and *should* have another checkbox offering to do same
and try again from the upgrade screen even if an existing system is
discovered (there might be more) but there are unclean partitions
remaining.

Cheers; Leon