Hopefully someone has answers to my questions:

1. How to disable metacity and start sawfish instead, I've seen
something like: killall metacity; sleep 5; sawfish, but this does not
work. Any hints?

2. Starting gnome+metacity takes forever and leaving gnome takes even
longer time. Also all xterms and gnome-terminals pop up when started or
from saved state but no prompt appear :( On the maximum I can get one
xterm and sometimes one gnome-terminal to use on the whole desktop! I
suppose the problem is the access setup to the applications and suspect
msec. Currently my msec level is 3. Very annoying indeeed.

3. Disk access seems to be extremely slow on my Linux HDD (/dev/hdb).
The first HDD (/dev/hda) has W98 installed and is slower than the second
HDD. DMA is enabled and several hdparm settings have been tried, with
limited success. I know the fastest HDD should be the boot disk, but
this requires some changes of the disks and the boot configurations. How
much is the performance hit for this configuration. The second disk is
maybe 50-100% faster than the first. Anyway, for example when installing
new software with urpmi and rpm, the access to other applications is
_very_ sluggish, the system almost stops. Any ideas?