Giuseppe Ghibò <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Shouldn't there be a preventive rebuild of everything depending
> > > on perl?
> > yes: do not write stuping programs that rely on specific versions
> > of perl.
> > since there're still maintream authors that do this, we've to
> > patch such programs to rely on /usr/bin/perl and not
> > /usr/bin/perl-<version>
>
> Why? How one program can be sure for instance that /usr/bin/perl is
> compatible with old version (for instance imaging /usr/bin/perl is
> perl 6.0 and program was only tested against perl 5.8.1)?

let's be serious: main upstream authors won't look at perl changes,
distro maintainers do quite more work in that area.

especially, latex2html predate the whole perl-5.8.x and perl-5.8.2 is
only a bugfix release for 5.8.1 that main mainstream authors won't
work with until their prefered distro get updated ...

i even remember that in the old days (around 1995) they hardcoded
/usr/local/bin/perl stuff in some latex2html scripts.

this is just a badly packaged (at mainstream level) program.