I'm attempting to install Mandrake Linux 8.2 and Windows XP
onto a system with an SX6000 RAID as the boot disk.

I know, I know, if I were just running Linux, I'd use the
software RAID.  But I'm not.  I need a RAID that can be seen
and used by both XP and Linux, (they have to see a common
filesystem) so I went with hardware.

The question is, how do I get it installed?  Clearly Mandrake 8.2
doesn't come with the module for the SX6000 installed.  Promise
doesn't have a precompiled module for Mandrake Linux, but they
do give out the source code.  So my impression is that I've got
to compile the Promise driver as a module for the Mandrake install
kernel, and then get the installer to use that module during the
install.

Q1: How do I compile the Promise driver for Mandrake Linux 8.2?
  I assume this involves getting /usr/src/linux on some other
  machine to look like Mandrake Linux, then getting the Promise
  driver compiled as a module.  What is the right set up?

Q2: How do I get the installer to load the SX6000 module?
  This must have something to do with pressing F1 while the
  installer is booting up, then passing arguments to it from
  that prompt.  What arguments do I use?

Thanks for any help.

-Iain McClatchie                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       650-691-7604 voice
True Circuits, Inc.                    650-691-7606 FAX
                                       650-703-2095 cell