Has anyone looked into this?  I did a bit...looking at
messages after booting, I see:

Sep 17 08:45:15 mccarthy ypbind: ypbind startup
succeeded
Sep 17 08:45:15 mccarthy ypbind[977]: Unable to
register (YPBINDPROG, YPBINDVERS
, udp).

then later:

Sep 17 08:45:07 mccarthy network: Setting network
parameters:  succeeded
Sep 17 08:45:07 mccarthy network: Bringing up loopback
interface:  succeeded
Sep 17 08:45:07 mccarthy ifup: Determining IP
information for eth0...

and:

Sep 17 08:45:13 mccarthy dhcpcd[890]: dhcpConfig:
ioctl SIOCADDRT: File exists
Sep 17 08:45:13 mccarthy ifup:  done.
Sep 17 08:45:14 mccarthy network: Bringing up
interface eth0:  succeeded

I think you get the idea.  rc5.d shows an S10network,
and an S17ypbind, but from the log, it looks like
ypbind is getting started before network.  Possible
initscripts problem?

Looking into it further, it *appears* that running
concurrently with rc.sysinit are some of the startup
scripts in rc5.d, like usb, gpm, and ypbind, but
network is going later than all of these.