First, without asking, it installs:
libijs0, printer-filters, nc, foomatic, scli,
gimpprint, printer-utils, and xpp, whether you need
them or not.  Also it does this in 3 (!) steps.  It
should wait until you've configured a printer, and
only install the ones you need for it to work.

Then, if you turn all the auto-detection off, and go
to add a printer, it assumes it's a local printer, and
doesn't give you the choice of it being a remote lpd
printer or anything else.

Finally, after adding a printer, going back and
changing it to remote network printer, and trying the
test page, I got lots of garbage.  It's an HP LaserJet
4, which I selected.  I probably should have just
selected PostScript, but I remember older
printerdrakes selecting postscript for you if you
select a PS-capable printer.