Christophe Combelles wrote:
  > I have a fully reproducible crash of X11 :
  >
  > The bug seems to be in the mga driver :
  >
  > - Take a PC with a matrox g450
  > - configure the X server in 16 bits, 1280x1024
  > (I have joined my XF86Config-4 in logfiles.tar.gz)
  > - open the file LdMBUG2.doc with OpenOffice
  >
  > --> X crashes
  >
  > ---------------
  >
  > I have done several tests :
  >
  > 1) I have reproduced it with:
  >    mandrake 9.0rc2 and 8.2; with StarOffice6.0 and OpenOffice1.0.1
  > 2) did also occur once in 24bits
  > 3) seems to occur only on matrox cards
  > 4) I could not reproduce it on Redhat7.3 (on another PC with g450)
  > 5) does not occur with Kword
  > 6) I could reproduce it only with the joined document (LdMBUG2.doc)
  > 7) does not occur with the same document saved in openoffice format
  >
  > ---------------
  > In my opinion, this is the combination of
  > a) a bug in mga_drv.o
  > b) a bad font
  >
  > ---------------
  >
  > Please tell if someone can reproduce it.
  >
  > ----------------
  >
  > I have joined, in files.tar.gz :
  >
  > The file that causes the crash (LdMBUG2.doc)
  > The config of XFree86 (XF86Config-4)
  > The log file of XFree86 (XFree86.0.log)
  > The result of "lspci -v" (lspci)
  >

  > regards
  > Christophe Combelles

 From what I tried mainly seems due to dri (and occurred also on other chipsets
[other than KT133], with other resolutions and depth [like 24/32bpp and
1024x768] like VIA Apollo Pro 133T as well as AMD761). Comment the line 'Load
"dri"' in XF86Config-4 and the crash would go away (otherwise OOo and SO6 are
almost unusable). Unfortunately doing that you'll loose 3D acceleration. The
problem is quite weird (mainly occurs when dealing with fonts, or scrolling
but seems not related to freetype or some wrong font) and also occurs using
other kernels and XFree binaries as well as with latest Matrox CVS DRM/DRI or
with XFree compiled with Matrox HALlib enabled. Alternatively could be agpgart
but mga module doesn't build without it.

Bye.
Giuseppe.