--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Alan Hughes wrote:
>
> > Sorted it out last night, although I use HardDrake
> to set the OSS driver. I
> > think that ALSA just does not support SoundBlaster
> Live properly (along with
> I disagree, because it works fine for some other
> people.
> David may say it doesn't work but that is only
> because he gets artifacts
> on his specific systems.
> ALSA drivers work fine on most SBLives. But there

What about all of the many other people on this list
reporting problems completely different from my own?

> are a few different
> kinds, and YMMV. Some people like ALSA better,
> because it supports more
> features and is the best maintained. I hope David
> will report the
> artifacts to alsa-devel, so they are fixed in the
> next version.

To this point you haven't asked me, or the numerous
other people reporting problems to report something to
alsa-devel.  I'm 100% willing to do so, what info. can
I give them to be the most helpful to them?

Unfortunately a lot of the other people who reported
problems probably aren't still watching this list.

> Alan, it would be better to figure out why it was
> not working on your
> setup, because you did not really explain. If it was
> that you did not
> hear sone on your rear channel than it is a mixer
> configuration issue,
> which I hoped would be fixed, but you can always
> manually set your mixer
> correct.

A simple fix, that applies to some of the other people
who've had problems too.  Don't you think we should a)
fix the default ALSA mixer values so they're not
screwed up out of the box, or b) use OSS by default
until we can manage to do a)?