Quel Qun wrote:
> $ du -ch `rpm -qpl gqview mplayer-gui mplayer libbpostproc0 \
> libdvdread2 mplayer-skins libggi2 libggi libgii0 libgii libmad0 \
> libdv2 liblirc0 libdha0.1 liblzo1 libnas2` 2> /dev/null | grep total
> 28M total
>
> 28MB for something that does not seem to work, at leaston msnbc,
> isn't it a bit too expensive?

That's because mplayer requires 127 libs... (I wonder whether someone got it
full statically linked... ;-)).

Anyway the problem on msnbc is because streaming as well as redirect
(i.e. a multimedia file redirecting to another multimedia URL (used on Apple
trailers page, for instance) is not supported (the only other one I know
is this one http://www.webfreetv.com/linux, but it's not yet complete,
doesn't work with -vo x11 (because "mplayer -window ...." has problems), and
doesn't come with a license). Furthermore I'll remove "asx" to mime extensions
listed in pluggerrc.

Of course mplayer is not mandatory, but for video files there aren't
much alternatives (xine would probably requires the same number of libraries as mplayer, xanim is no longer supported [and furthermore it didn't support many file formats], mpegtv is dead, etc.) if you wanna see something...

Bye.
Giuseppe.