On Monday 10 February 2003 05:51 pm, you wrote:
> CyberCFO wrote:
> >
> > First off, I do not represent Mandrake or MandrakeSoft in any way other
> > than as a user.  I have been following the thread you have reported on in
> > the Cooker ML and would like to make a few observations and suggestions.
>
> I hope this fits better.
>
>    Mandrake Linux without MandrakeSoft? Some Mandrake developers are
>    [37]discussing the future of Mandrake Linux since Ben Reser
>    [38]believes that he end of [39]MandrakeSoft is [40]inevitable. They
>    [41]proposed to organise Mandrake Linux development as community
>    effort and [42]investigated how the Debian project is organised, which
>    is why John Goerzen from Debian [43]contributes to the discussion.
>    Gustavo Franco, for example, [44]proposed Mandrake as a new project
>    inside Debian under the umbrella of Software in the Public Interest,
>    Inc. However, this idea was refused.
>
>   37. http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg90098.html
>   38. http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-01/msg03850.php
>   39. http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
>   40.
> http://ben.reser.org/rants/invisible.cgi?month=01&day=15&year=2003&t=00 41.
> http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-01/msg04630.php 42.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg90243.html 43.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg90522.html 44.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg90668.html
>
> Regards,
>
>       Joey

You have missed my point, and the point of the original discussion.  You have
again mischaracterized the thread as a discussion of planning life after
MandrakeSoft when in fact they were planning life with MandrakeSoft, only a
more open and friendly development process.  The discussion that referenced
Debian was to try and glean ways that the MandrakeSoft development process
could be more inclusive and easier to join.

Your people (John and Gustavo) turned it into the discussion it became by
trolling the list, and now you are reporting on it as if a spontaneous
discussion about Mandrake joining up with Debian was had by the MandrakeSoft
developers.  I believe that their original intention for joining the
discussion was noble, they ultimately had their discussion with people that
did not represent MandrakeSoft per se.

You also further insinuate that the Mandrake community is planning for the
demise of MandrakeSoft, which it was not.  Some in the community, Ben Reser
for example, may think that is true, but many do not, and Ben Reser certainly
does not speak for MandrakeSoft, and he did not even participate in the
discussion.  His post from 1-28-2003 that you reference was on a thread
completely unrelated to the discussion in question.

You have it wrong, but I don't suppose that matters to you.  I guess the real
version does not make for a very good headline.  I am copying the cooker list
on this response and I suppose I should also add in a Debian list or two, but
I'll deal with that if this actually gets published.

- --
/g