On 6/30/14, 1:55 AM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Coleen,

Your webrev links are to internal locations.

Sorry, I cut/pasted the wrong links.  They are:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8047737_jdk/
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8047737_hotspot/

and the full version

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8047737_hotspot/

Thank you for pointing this out David.

Coleen

David

On 28/06/2014 5:24 AM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
processing and intrinsics in JVM

This is part of ongoing work to clean up oop pointers in the metadata
and simplify the interface between the JDK j.l.C and the JVM. There's a
performance benefit at the end of all of this if we can remove all oop
pointers from metadata.   mirror in Klass is the only one left after
this full change.

See bug https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8047737

There are a couple steps to this change because Hotspot testing is done
with promoted JDKs.  The first step is this webrev:

http://oklahoma.us.oracle.com/~cphillim/webrev/8047737_jdk/
http://oklahoma.us.oracle.com/~cphillim/webrev/8047737_hotspot/

When the JDK is promoted, the code to remove
ArrayKlass::_component_mirror will be changed under a new bug id.

http://oklahoma.us.oracle.com/~cphillim/webrev/8047737_hotspot_full

Finally, a compatibility request and licensee notification will occur to
remove the function JVM_GetComponentType.

Performance testing was done that shows no difference in performance.
The isArray() call is a compiler intrinsic which is now called instead
of getComponentType, which was recognized as a compiler intrinsic.

JDK jtreg testing, hotspot jtreg testing, hotspot NSK testing and jck8
tests were performed on both the change requested (1st one) and the full
change.

hotspot NSK tests were run on the hotspot-only change with a promoted JDK.

Please send your comments.

Thanks,
Coleen