I'd like to propose some sort of comment (non-javadoc) preceding the
methods to explain the pattern. Without the institutional day-to-day
knowledge, I don't think it is apparent to an outside reader why these
methods are crafted as such.

The comment can be as simple as:
// wrap native call to allow instrumentation

Cheers,
Paul