Hello all,

I request the community to review a patch for adding SO_REUSEPORT support.
There is already an existing JBS opened at

Details :

SO_REUSEPORT removes 1:1 assignment between listen socket and IP:PORT pair and
enable multiple sockets listening to the same address and port. This improves
the scalability and parallelism of network traffic handling. It is enabled for
both TCP and UDP sockets (at least for Linux). For more details, please refer
to https://lwn.net/Articles/542629/. Many applications, especially Linux or BSD
based webservers such as Apache httpd and Nginx are already supporting it now.
Ruby and Python have it supported as well. Other Java applications such as
Netty webserver have it supported via JNI function since JDK has not supported
it yet.

By enabling the SO_REUSEPORT feature itself, up to 4X throughput and latency
improvement have been observed from various applications. Specific to Java
application with this patch, we modified Apache Hadoop Distributed File System
(HDFS) source code to take advantage of this feature. We observed up to 1.93x
performance improvements.

The feature is supported since Linux Kernel 3.9. It is also supported in BSDs,
Solaris and Mac OS. Windows does not have it. In the current patch, we only
enable the feature on Linux platform since we do not have BSD, Solaris and Mac
OS for testing. Whether the feature is supported or not on the running kernel
is determined at the run time.

P.S. Based on Alan Baleman's comment on JBS, we are in meanwhile working on
adding this option to 'java.net.ExtendedSocketOption'.

Regards,
Kishor Kharbas