Thanks Vladimir and Joel!!
Please see http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~srastogi/8147585/webrev.04/
Added restriction for synthetic methods as well.

On 6/2/2016 5:04 PM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

On 6/2/16 12:02 AM, Joel Borggrén-Franck wrote:
Hi,

I think this was caught by the verifier before 8 since you couldn't have
concrete or private methods in an interface. Now you can (though not in
Java for private ones).

My spider sense tells me there might be something lurking here (though
it was a while since this was in my L1 cache). It is not likely, but I'm
not 100% sure that it is impossible to make javac produce a bridge when
compiling an annotation type for example, so why not remove synthetic
methods as well?

I'm not an expert in annotation processing, but it bothers me as well, since current behavior looks too Java-centric. There are valid (in JVMS sense) class files which are not produced by javac or from java source file.

What is expected behavior in such case? It is unfortunate when non-Java languages have to obey to Java rules. It reminds me a problem with Class.getSimpleName() (see JDK-8057919 [1]) we fixed some time ago.
Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov

Spending some time with ASM to do a bunch of tests not compilable in
java might be useful, there should also be some frameworks in langtools
to produce invalid classfiles IIRC.
Raised https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8158510 to include new test cases.

Regards,
Shilpi

cheers
/Joel

On Tue, 31 May 2016 at 17:49 shilpi.rast...@oracle.com
<mailto:shilpi.rast...@oracle.com> <shilpi.rast...@oracle.com
<mailto:shilpi.rast...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    Thanks Paul!!
    Please see http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~srastogi/8147585/webrev.03/

    Thanks,
    Shilpi

    On 5/31/2016 7:57 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
    > >"Returns an array containing Method objects reflecting all the
    declared methods of the class or interface represented by this Class
    object, including public, protected, default (package) access, and
    private methods, but excluding inherited methods."