When Claes opined earlier, he considered my proposal a "niche use case" but
I don't share that opinion. In my experience with Java on the server-side,
I find three perspectives on booting applications:
(1) Just assume the right Java version (runtime exceptions will let you
know otherwise)
(2) Check the Java version first via shell scripting
(3) Check the Java version first in application main()

My proposal aims to make case #1 inexcusable, improve the usability of case
#2, and eliminate the need for case #3. In my world, servers usually have
multiple versions of Java installed. Some applications can run without
error on multiple Java versions, but policy dictates just one (for such
reasons like QA and/or maintaining vendor support). So I don't consider
this proposal to be all that niche. It really comes down to verifying the
platform major version (and possibly minor version) before going any
further.

Cheers,
Paul