On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:37 PM Raffaello Giulietti <
raffaello.giulie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ulf,
>

> On 2018-09-27 16:40, Ulf Adams wrote:
> > Hi Raffaello,
> >
> > I am the author of a recent publication on double to string conversion
> > [1] - the Ryu algorithm. I've been aware of the problems with the Jdk
> > for several years, and am very much looking forward to improvements in
> > correctness and performance in this area.
> >

> What a coincidence! I'm happy to hear that the quest for better
> floating->string conversions has not stopped. Tomorrow I'll download
> your paper and have a look at it during the weekend.

Have you had a chance to take a look?

(I'm traveling for the next ~10 days and at a conference, so don't expect
too much from me during that time.)

> > I have done some testing against my Java implementation of the Ryu
> > algorithm described in the linked paper. Interestingly, I've found a few
> > cases where they output different results. In particular:
> > 1.0E-323 is printed as 9.9E-324
> > 1.0E-322 is printed as 9.9E-323
>
> If Ryu also produces 1 digit long outputs, then your results above are
> correct. But then Ryu should also output 5.0E-324 rather than 4.9E-324,
> for example.
> Even better, it should output 5E-324, 1E-323 and 1E-322 because adding
> the .0 part might confuse a human reader to believe that 2 digits are
> really needed. But then 4.9E-324, 9.9E-324 and 9.9E-323 are closer to
> the double.

The C version produces 1 digit long outputs, and I was trying to follow the
Java spec in the Java version, but the code to do so isn't quite right.
Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to fix it.

> 2 digits are for backward compatibility with the existing spec which
> requires at least one digit to the right of the decimal point.
>

> > It's likely that there are more such cases - I only ran a sample of
> > double-precision numbers. Arguably, 9.9 is the correctly rounded 2-digit
> > output and Ryu is incorrect here. That's what you get when you have a
> > special case for Java without a correctness proof. :-(
> >
> > In terms of performance, this algorithm performs almost exactly the same
> > as my Java implementation of Ryu, although I'd like to point out that my
> > C implementation of Ryu is quite a bit faster (though note that it
> > generates different output, in particular, it only outputs a single
> > digit of precision in the above cases, rather than two), and I didn't
> > backport all the performance improvements from the Java version, yet. It
> > looks like this is not coincidence - as far as I can see so far, it's
> > algorithmically very similar, although it manages to avoid the loop I'm
> > using in Ryu to find the shortest representation.
> >
> > I have a few comments:
> >
> >       *     <li> It rounds to {@code v} according to the usual
> > round-to-closest
> >       *     rule of IEEE 754 floating-point arithmetic.
> > - Since you're spelling out the rounding rules just below, this is
> > duplicated, and by itself, it's unclear since it doesn't specify the
> > specific sub-type (round half even).
> >

> I tried to save as much of the original spec wording as possible.
> Perhaps it isn't worthwhile.
>

> > - Naming: I'd strongly suggest to use variable names that relate to
> > what's stored, e.g., m for mantissa, e for exponent, etc.
> >

> I currently prefer to be consistent with a forthcoming paper of mine on
> the subject. But thanks for the suggestion.

May I suggest that the paper also uses names that relate to what they're
referring to? :-) Not that I've managed to do that very well myself...

> > - What's not clear to me is how the algorithm determines how many digits
> > to print.
> >

> You'll have to wait for the paper.

Looking forward to it. I tried to reverse engineer the code, but it's far
from obvious.

> > - Also, it might be nicer to move the long multiplications to a helper
> > method - at least from a short look, it looks like the computations of
> > vn, vnl, and vnr are identical.
> >

> I tried several variants: the current one seems to be the faster with
> the current optimizations of C2. Some day I'll also try with Graal.

Sure, but moving it to a method shouldn't affect performance (except if you
need to return multiple values), and, right now, it looks like identical
code.