On 10/4/18 9:45 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 04/10/2018 17:10, Richard Hillegas wrote:
I am looking for advice about how to tighten up module encapsulation while generating byte code on the fly. I ask this question on behalf of Apache Derby, a pure-Java relational database whose original code dates back to Java 1.2. I want to reduce Derby's attack-surface when running with a module path.

First a little context: A relational database is an interpreter for the SQL language. It converts SQL queries into byte code which then runs on a virtual machine embedded in the interpreter. In Derby's case, the virtual machine is the Java VM and the byte code is simply Java byte code. That is, a Derby query plan is a class whose byte code is generated on the fly at run time.

I have converted the Apache Derby codeline into a set of jigsaw modules: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6945. Unfortunately, I had to punch holes in the encapsulation of the main Derby module so that the generated query plans could call back into the Derby engine. That is because, by default, generated query plans load into the catch-all, unnamed module. Note that all of these generated classes live in a single package which does not belong to any named module.

1) Is it possible to load generated code into a named module?

2) Alternatively, can someone recommend another approach for preserving module encapsulation while generating classes on the fly?

I would appreciate any advice or examples which you can recommend.

There are a couple of places in the JDK where we spin bytecode into modules that are created at run-time. One example is in the Nashorn and was presented by MIchael Haupt at JVMLS 2017 [1]. There's a lot in that so a simpler example to look at is in the XML transformation code [2] where there is a module created at run-time for each translet. The module is fully encapsulate except for an entry point that it exports to the java.xml module in the parent module layer. In turn, the java.xml exports one of its internal packages to the translet module to allow what may be equivalent to your generated code calling back into the Derby engine.

-Alan
Thanks, Alan. I will study this example. Cheers!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6a6jNZAt0
[2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/raw-file/tip/src/java.xml/share/classes/com/sun/org/apache/xalan/internal/xsltc/trax/TemplatesImpl.java