On 10/31/18 4:06 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Dean,

Looking only at the hotspot changes. The removal of the DoPrivileged and related privileged_stack code seems okay. I have a few related comments:

src/hotspot/share/classfile/systemDictionary.hpp

You added the java_security_AccessController class after java_security_AccessControlContext. Did you actually verify where in the load/initialization order the AccessController class appears today, and where it appears after your change? (Note the comments at the start of WK_KLASSES_DO). Changes to the initialization order would be my biggest concern with this patch.

No, I did not notice that comment and assumed alphabetical order was OK here.  However, these classes appear to be only resolved, not initialized (and AccessController does not have a static initializer), so could you explain how the order in this list can affect initialization order?

I only need this in JVM_GetStackAccessControlContext, which is a static JNI method, so I could get the klass* from the incoming jclass instead of using a well-known class entry.

---

I'm unclear about the change to the test:

test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/JVMDoPrivileged/DoPrivRunAbstract.jasm

as it still refers to the now non-existent JVM_DoPrivileged in the summary. Does this test still make sense? Should it be moved to the Java side now it doesn't actually test anything in the VM?

I think these tests still make sense, unless we have similar coverage somewhere else.  How about if I fix the reference to JVM_DoPrivileged for now and file a separate bug about moving or removing these tests?

---

There may be further dead code to remove now:

vmSymbols.hpp: codesource_permissioncollection_signature is now unreferenced and can be removed.

javaClasses.*:
  - java_lang_System::has_security_manager
  - java_security_AccessControlContext::is_authorized

./share/memory/universe.hpp:  static Method* protection_domain_implies_method()

Good catches!  I have uploaded a new webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dlong/8212605/webrev.2/
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dlong/8212605/webrev.2.incr/ (incremental diff)

dl

---