I am updating Apache Derby documentation to reflect the recent modularization of the codeline. While doing this, I have stumbled across an old piece of advice from the Derby Tuning Guide:

"The structure of your classpath can affect Derby startup time and the time required to load a particular class.

The classpath is searched linearly, so locate Derby's libraries at the beginning of the classpath so that they are found first. If the classpath first points to a directory that contains multiple files, booting Derby can be very slow."

That may be an old, Java 1.2 concern, which no longer affects modern JVMs. I have a couple questions:

1) Is this still good advice when booting a large application like Derby via a classpath?

2) What about the modulepath? Can classes be faulted in faster by re-arranging the order of jar files on the modulepath?

Thanks,
-Rick