On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:57:57 GMT, Christian Stein <cst...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This PR copies the `CommandLine.java` file from module `jdk.compiler`
>> (package `com.sun.tools.javac.main`) into the `jdk.internal.opt` module,
>> creating a new package with name `jdk.internal.opt`. That new
>> `jdk.internal.opt` package is then exported to the following modules:
>> - `jdk.jartool`
>> - `jdk.jlink`
>> - `jdk.jpackage`
>>
>> Now, `jar`, `jlink`, and `jpackage` use a shared `CommandLine` class. In a
>> future commit (presumable for JDK 21)  the original `CommandLine.java` file
>> in `jdk.compiler` can and will be replaced with this new one in
>> `jdk.internal.opt`. Same goes for the `jdk.javadoc` module.
>>
>> - [x] Keep `CommandLine.java` in `jdk.compiler` module for the time being
>> due to "JDK N-1 rule".
>> - [x] Keep `CommandLine.java` in `jdk.javadoc` module for the time being due
>> to "JDK N-1 rule".
>> - [x] Remove `CommandLine.java` from `jdk.jartool` module
>> - [x] Remove `CommandLine.java` from `jdk.jlink` module
>> - [x] Remove `CommandLine.java` from `jdk.jpackage` module
>> - [x] Check for related but renamed(?) usages of `CommandLine.java` in other
>> JDK tools: `jshell`, `jdeps`, `jfr`, ...
>
> Christian Stein has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Remove superseded comment

Marked as reviewed by jjg (Reviewer).

src/jdk.internal.opt/share/classes/jdk/internal/opt/CommandLine.java line 49:

> 47:  *
> 48:  *  <p><b>This is NOT part of any supported API.
> 49:  *  If you write code that depends on this, you do so at your own
> risk.</b>

I think this entire paragraph can be removed. It is "just" the "scary warning"
meant to warn people about using not-really-public classes in javac, before we
had a module system for the encapsulation.