On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:42:33 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review a change to add `@spec` tags (and remove some equivalent
>> `@see` tags) to the main "core-libs" packages in `java.base` module.
>>
>> This is similar to, and a subset of, PR #11073.   That PR was withdrawn, and
>> based on the ensuing discussion and suggestion, is now being handled with a
>> series of PRs for various separate parts of the system.  Follow-up PRs will
>> be provided for the rest of `java.base`, for `java.desktop`, and for XML
>> APIs.  The "LangTools" modules have already been updated.  The "External
>> Specifications" page has been temporarily [disabled][] until this work is
>> complete.
>>
>> While the primary content of the change was automated, I've manually
>> adjusted the formatting, to break long lines.
>>
>> It is clear there is significant inconsistency in the ordering of block tags
>> in doc comment.   We might want to (separately) consider normalizing the
>> order of the tags, perhaps according to the order defined for the tags in
>> the generated output, as given [here][]
>>
>> [here]:
>> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L68
>> [disabled]:
>> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L115
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Thread.java line 1960:
>
>> 1958:      *             thread.
>> 1959:      *
>> 1960:      * @spec jni/index.html Java Native Interface Specification
>
> The link to the JNI spec in this method is from implNote so I'm wondering if
> the spec link is needed here.

Right now, the tag is added for any declaration whose comment contains a
reference to an external spec (i.e. with `<a href-....>`.

When we enable the "External Specifications" page, it will contain a link back
to this page as part of the cross-reference info, which seems useful. That
being said, if you feel strongly the tag should not be added here, I can remove
it.

> src/java.base/share/classes/java/nio/file/Files.java line 1724:
>
>> 1722:      *
>> 1723:      * @spec https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2045
>> 1724:      *      RFC 2045: RFC 2045: Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
>> (MIME) Part One: Format of Internet Message Bodies
>
> Maybe this one can be put on two lines to avoid the wrapping when looking at
> is side-by-side.

Fixed. There was also a stutter-bug with a double "RFC 2045: RFC 2045:" which I
have also fixed.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13248#discussion_r1153755656
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13248#discussion_r1153756945