On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:24:11 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review a change to add `@spec` tags (and remove some equivalent `@see`
> tags) to the main "core-libs" packages in `java.base` module.
>
> This is similar to, and a subset of, PR #11073.   That PR was withdrawn, and
> based on the ensuing discussion and suggestion, is now being handled with a
> series of PRs for various separate parts of the system.  Follow-up PRs will
> be provided for the rest of `java.base`, for `java.desktop`, and for XML
> APIs.  The "LangTools" modules have already been updated.  The "External
> Specifications" page has been temporarily [disabled][] until this work is
> complete.
>
> While the primary content of the change was automated, I've manually adjusted
> the formatting, to break long lines.
>
> It is clear there is significant inconsistency in the ordering of block tags
> in doc comment.   We might want to (separately) consider normalizing the
> order of the tags, perhaps according to the order defined for the tags in the
> generated output, as given [here][]
>
> [here]:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L68
> [disabled]:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L115

> I skimmed through the changes and it looks quite good, much more workable
> than PR 11073.
>
> Do you have a proposed ordering with other tags? I expected it would go with
> @see but I see several where @SPEC is before @author, and @see after @author.
> I know it doesn't really matter.

The initial assumption was "after the @param/@return/@throws group". Overall,
as I said in the description for this PR, the block tags are not very
consistent about ordering. I was thinking we might want to recommend an overall
ordering, but I'm worried it would be too intrusive a change to apply
generally.  In the description, I suggested an ordering based on the
order in `Docs.gmk` which defines the order in which tags appear in the
generated output.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13248#issuecomment-1490920050