On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:32:55 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This comment is not a review. I simply use the opportunity provided by this
> PR to suggest that we stop making new `/** ... */` and separately fix old
> jtreg comments like this:
>
> ```
> /**
>  * @test TestSmallHeap
>  * @bug 8067438 8152239
>  * @summary Verify that starting the VM with a small heap works
>  * @library /test/lib
>  * @modules java.base/jdk.internal.misc
>  * @build jdk.test.whitebox.WhiteBox
>  * @run driver jdk.test.lib.helpers.ClassFileInstaller
> jdk.test.whitebox.WhiteBox
>  * @run main/othervm -Xbootclasspath/a:. -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
> -XX:+WhiteBoxAPI     gc.TestSmallHeap
>  */
> ```
>
> I know that those comments only appear in tests, and that tests are never
> documented. Still, it is confusing to see such comments and IDEs might frown
> upon them too. Generally, it is a good rule of thumb that `/** ... */` should
> be reserved only for javadoc.

I agree we should not be using `/**` for test description comments.
IntelliJ tells me there are 103+ matches in 97+ files, so this would be a
non-trivial cleanup.
I note there are 22 issues in `test/langtools/jdk` tests (i.e. javadoc tests),
so let's start there ;-)

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18846#issuecomment-2067164929